by Bret Schnitzer
First settled by pioneers from New England and New York, an act by the Legislature of the Territory of Michigan established the borders of Livonia Township on March 17, 1835. The settlers brought with them the name “Livonia”, a name that had already been given to Livonia, New York, Livonia, Pennsylvania and a region of the Baltic Sea named Livonia in present day Estonia and Latvia, from which many early settlers came.
Livonia was incorporated into a city on May 23, 1950, by vote of the citizens of the township. A significant motivation was to gain tax revenues from the DRC (Detroit Race Course), which was Michigan’s only thoroughbred horse racetrack that closed in 1998.
The Serious Auto Accident Attorneys have been getting outstanding results in Livonia, Michigan for over 25 years on auto accident cases. Call us for a free consultation at (313) 389-2234